Friday, April 5, 2013

Are You Sure? I'm Positive. No, you're Batty.

The semester is drawing to a close and I am getting to those 3 months that I have no idea what is going to happen. I am going to run out of money in May, and I am still unemployed and have a looming $120 car repair.

And there is nothing I can do about that right now. At this very moment. As much as I would like to. At this moment, I have pretty much done each thing I can, and all I have to just sit tight and start handing out resumes.

And that kind of sucks.

I think we as a species kind of like to plan things out - at least, I am going to tell myself that it is not just me. And it's my blog, so there.

College students obsess over registration and schedules and life plans for weeks. And then our advisers ask us, "Are you sure?"

Um. I hope so. I've poured 1000s of dollars into this so far. But I'm not sure.

Fern Gully is one of my favorite animated movies ever - this is going somewhere, I swear.

It takes place in an Australian rain forest. Within the titular magical land, the wise Magi Lune is currently teaching her young protege, Crysta, the secrets of the forest. The fairies believe that humans are extinct, having been last seen fleeing an attack by the spirit of destruction, Hexxus. But venturing outside Fern Gully, Crysta accidentally discovers a human logging operation. After meeting an insane fruit bat named Batty Koda and accidentally shrinking one of the humans, Zak, down to her size, Crysta has to face the accidentally released Hexxus, who lives off pollution and threatens to destroy the forest. In the end, Hexxus gets eaten by a tree, Zak learns a life lesson, and everyone is happy.

Batty, voiced by the irrepressible Robin Williams, always has a good one-liner or a rap or some witty banter.

Potato In A Jacket
 
Lines like:
**Bonus Points if you read these is Robin Williams' voice

"Price check on prune juice, Bob, price check on prune juice."
"Catches on quick, doesn't he?"
"Human tails? Humans don't have tails. They have big, big bottoms that they wear with bad shorts. They walk around saying "hi, Helen!"
"Hail, Caesar! Emperor of Rome! ZAP Well all right, Gunny! We're goin' to war!" 
"Awesome use of the language, dude."
"I have but one claw, but beware!"
"Oh, sonic interference, what a nightmare... I thought I saw a human... AH! HUMAN! Yes! Yes! Kill it! Restrain it! Medicate it! Something! Puff up! Puff up! They hate that!"

And then there is this little exchange between he and Zak:
"Are you sure?"
"I'm positive."
"Only fools are positive."
"Are you sure?"
"I'm positive! AH I fell for it! I should have known!"

Only fools are positive. Oh. Surprisingly deep and insightful of our animated bat-friend.

Nothing in life is predictable and we really cannot plan it out as much as our nature would like.

Being positive and unwavering and expectant really messes you up. Because 9 times out of 10, your plan is not God's plan. And when you can roll with the punches, the reality check hurts a little less.


“Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes. You must look into that storm and shout as you did in Rome. Do your worst, for I will do mine! Then the fates will know you as we know you: as Albert Mondego, the man!”

 That is not a challenge to Life to do it's worst. This is a reminder that Life is unpredictable. I can't be positive about what is going to happen each day, what role I will get cast as, what illness I'll get, or even what my hair will do on any given day.

But I can do my best to accept that. Because only fools are positive.


Love,

Chloé