Monday, February 18, 2013

The Music That Makes Me Dance

 There's this great old Barbra Streisand musical called Funny Girl - I am sure most of you have heard of it. The semi-biographical plot is based on the life and career of Broadway, film star and comedienne Fanny Brice and her stormy relationship with entrepreneur and gambler Nicky Arnstein, and some of the greatest Barbra standards come from it: Funny Girl, Don't Rain On My Parade, and My Man.

And also a short, sweet, wonderful song, that was cut from the movie, called The Music That Makes Me Dance. Fanny sings it as her husband is being taken to prison, and she is trying to convince herself to stay with him, to stay strong, and that their love is strong to face anything. And the thing is she knows she's wrong. SPOILER ALERT- they break up! The couple does not stay together in the end. They part ways after he is released from prison to have their own lives.

So this song is actually very mournful and reflective as opposed to peppy and happy. And it is just beautiful. I am lucky enough to have it in my repertoire this semester and I got to perform it this morning for a musicale.

video
Besides adoring the song, I do have an emotional connection to it. My ex and I went back and forth for so long, trying to the force the relationship into working when it just didn't anymore. And, now that I'm truly out of it, I get that that is okay. We spent so long unhappy with each other, treading the line between giving up and seeing how much we could really take.

Don't read this and think I hate him. Hating someone is exhausting. I'm disappointed, sure, that he lied and turned into the things he promised not too. But I really do wish him the best as we go forward in life. That's just healthier for me.
It's healthier to look into the light and to, in turn, try to wash that warm, yellow, light over everyone I love, much like Fanny did. She was star struck, in love with her husband, and in love with being happy. She loved to laugh and was an expert comedian and gave everyone she met a little bit on sunshine.But she also didn't give up on what she wanted - whether the dream was to be a star or be a good wife. There are a lot of lessons to take from Fanny regarding overcoming adversity.

Plus her story makes a great musical!
 
Sweater -F21 $5, Dress - Thrifted (Juicy Couture) $20, Shoes - Ross $10
Love,
Chloé