Friday, February 15, 2013

#foreveralone

February 15th. The day after Valentine's Day. Here we sit, trying to decide it is safe to venture out of our shelter into the post-Valentine's day fallout.
  
How yesterday was spent depended on your state of mind or our Facebook relationship status. Some received flowers, gave flowers, posted sweet nothings on Facebook, and still others just flooded the news feed with complaints about the aforementioned sweet nothings. 

I actually spent my Valentine's Day on a bus to Portland with some of the most wonderful people I know. But as an recently single girl, this Valentine's Day was a little tough. But since I didn't have the option to be sad in my bedroom, I decided to soldier out, armed with some Diva Music, humour, and a dash of bitterness, to face the Valentine explosion. 

 Don't get me wrong, I love Valentine's Day, and the idea of having a whole day to just be a sickeningly sweet as possible. I love it. I love all the cheese and romance that it lends. But this year, it made me sad and a little lonely. 

I am slowly trying to refine the ideas of 'being alone' and 'being lonely.' All too often, I think girls get hung up on the idea that they have no identity without a man to call their own. I probably make a "#foreveralone" joke everyday.
Of course, this is not to say that one never needs a man. Men are wonderful and strong and completely essential for the Earth, but we must love ourselves before we can ever hope to love someone else properly. 

However apprehensive I was for this Valentine's Day, I think it turned out to be one of the best I have experienced, infinitely better than last year.  I explored Portland with an incredible group of people, ate at Kells Irish Pub and at Voodoo Doughnuts. 
This is my jelly-filled voodoo doll doughnut, eaten in honor of being a single girl. He may have gotten a few extra jabs with the pretzel needle. 
Then, Melody and I exchanged Valentines with each other.
The Valentine I gave her said "Yoda-Delicious." We get excited about Star Wars.
Love this girl.
I spent my Valentine's Day with wonderful people. I got to go out, sing some gorgeous music and feel like a superstar, and be a little crazy with 27 of my friends trapped on a charter bus. I felt incredibly loved.

Because I do not need a man to discover who I am. And, apparently, who I am is lovable all on her own.

No matter how crazy you are dancing, don't let somebody tell you that you are doing it wrong.

Because the right person is going to join right on it.

Love,
Chloé.